Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Week Magazine taught me this

The first step in confronting a problem, I'm told, is to admit you have one.  So let's go on with it: I suffer from Pedestrian Aggressiveness Syndrome.  LOL this was a statement made by the editor William Falk.  Funny thing is I suffer from the same problem!  People with PAS walk on crowded city sidewalks in very brisk and directed manner, and have zero patience for those who dawdle or, worse yet, stop short to read or respond to a text.  When they do impede our progress, we dodge among the dawdlers like a halfbacks, muttering insults and fantasizing about violence. This last part is not me, no violence, but the muttering. LOL.  At times, we even display "a mean face" as we rush past.  So true, shame on me...or wait and you guys too!  I know there are some of you out there that do the same thing.

One is never cured of PAS, of course one can only enter into a process of continuing recovery.  In that spirit, it might help us if the dawdlers, fellow pedestrians, followed some simple common sense rules.
  1. Please note the sidewalks are like highways, and they have lanes.  Ok maybe they are not marked by while lines,m but there are lanes nonetheless.
  2. Do not drift across the sidewalk without checking over your shoulder.  Your are very likely in my way.  
  3. Do not stop short, like a car suddenly braking in traffic, every time some pointless text or tweet or call pings your phone.  Pull over to the side. Or something awful might happen.
I might even display my "mean face" and we both don;t want that to happen do we?

I thought this was funny and quite fitting for the blog and we do this on trains too.  LOL

No comments: