Monday, September 29, 2008

Friday 9/26/08 (Post #6)



If you have seen this movie then you will enjoy my next story, or if you have my grandpas you will probably get a good chuckle out of my post. This morning I got on the train and decided to shake things up a bit and sit in a different place. Ok, the truth is two older men took my spot. I say down by myself in the seat behind them, I mean really if you know me you know that I am a creature of habit and I would not be comfortable too far from “home”. A couple then boarded the train and could not find two open seats. So of course I offered them my seat and I moved up to sit with the older men. The one next to me was sleeping and the other one was just sitting there with half of a frown on his face. We sat quietly the whole way, in fact I think I actually got some sleep. That was of course when we were not passing a site of interest.
Grumpy man #1 “There is the baseball stadium.”
Grumpy man #2 “WHAT?”
Grumpy man #1 “I said there is the baseball stadium”
Grumpy man #2 “Oh, humph” (then back to sleep)
A few minutes later…
Grumpy man #1 “We are in Fulerton.”
Grumpy man #2 “WHAT?”
Grumpy man #1 “I said we’re in Fullerton. Hugh used to live here.
Grumpy man #2 “WHAT?”
Grumpy man #1 “ I said Hugh used to live here before he moved to Palm Springs”
Grumpy man #2 – just huffed again
As we approached Union Station we had this conversation…
Grumpy man #1 “Old time private cars” (there are some old private train cars on the yard)
Grumpy man #2 “WHAT?”
Grumpy man #1 “Old private train cars”
Grumpy man #2 “WHERE? I didn’t see anything!”
Priceless I tell you just priceless….I almost peed my pants.

Friday PM commute…also called HELL. The Friday commute is PACKED with a shit load of people trying to get home early. If you have a metrolink monthly pass of a Amtrak ticket or pass you can ride this train. It is standing room only for about two stops. RING!!!! There goes my cell phone and it is Denise.
Denise: “Where are you? What are you doing?”
Terri: “ I am on the train getting ready to go home.”
Denise: “Get off, Get off come out to cowboy with me, our plans have changed.”
We talked a lot about the chance of me getting picked up in Fullerton and what I was wearing and we decided I would just go home and we would go out on Saturday. I got a seat in the 4-person section in the middle sitting with two other ladies and a guy. I started to work and then when the train got less crowded I moved to a two-seat row with some lady. She was in her 50’s and looked pretty nice. She was reading “The Shack” and I have seen so many people reading it and my uncle told me how much he loved it. So I tried to start up a conversation, but she was not up for it. I went back to work. About 30 minutes later the lady gets on the phone and starts the name-dropping and the guess how rich I am conversations. “(insert name) made over a million dollars on Nickelback this year alone. He was trying to talk (insert name) to sell one of her houses, he wants her to move into his multi-million dollar home in Malibu.” Yadda Yadda Yadda. She continued for like an hour talking to everyone. Telling everyone that would listen that she loved using public transportation. I bet she called her whole phone list. Finally she hung up and was ready to grace me with her conversation. We talked (she did most of it) about public transportation and how great it is. How all of her family said she was crazy to be riding on the train from Simi Valley to San Diego. She said she doesn’t care if we travel on the same train that crashed a few weeks ago. She was a flight attendant years ago and she told everyone who would listen that she knows that when there had been a plane crash the next few months were the best time to fly because everyone was on hyper alert. She then told me that she was here to visit her daughter who was about to have a baby. Her daughter is married and her and her husband live on mission bay in a million dollar home, but they want to move. Even though they make over a $100K a year and can afford to live here, they want to move to another area for the schools and a bigger house. I mean really you can’t have an infant in a 5-bedroom 4-bath house that is just ridiculous. Yes of course I made that part up, but I know that is what she was hinting at. BTW her family in California lives in Palisades, Newport Beach, Malibu and somewhere else. Let me just finish by saying I never got a word in edgewise. If you know me then you know that is a miracle in itself.

Casualty of the day: my ears.

No comments: