Monday, September 29, 2008

Thursday 9/25/08 (Post #5)

Thursday’s am commute was so awesome. I rode the whole way to Union Station with an older guy probably in his early 60’s. He was raised in North Carolina and has moved to San Diego to be near his grandchildren. We talked about so much I don’t think there was any moment of silence. While he was in high school he met this wonderful lady that was like 3 years younger than he was. They dated for a while then when he left for the war they decided to see other people. While she was in college she started to date her college professor and she ended up marrying him. This man also married a young lady he started dating. His wife was a flight attendant and they worked opposite schedules. She was very adamant that she never wanted kids and he thought she would change her mind…she never did. They live their life on different schedules up until they both retired. When they were traveling and being busy they were good together, but as soon as thing settled down they could not bear to be near each other. She wanted to live in New York and he wanted to retire somewhere a bit calmer. Slowly the started to live apart from each other and then they mutually got divorced. He adds now she gets half of my pension but I guess she deserves it. LOL. He ended up living with his sister in NC and one day he heard that his young high school love was also divorced. He could not believe it and they started to talk over email. Eventually the found any reason they could to meet up, even though they lived like 2 hours away from each other. Then 5 years ago they got married. Now they live her close to her daughter and grandkids. I was so touched by how much he loved his wife and how much he smiled when he talked about her. He shared a lot more with me…he really was a great man, with a very big heart. While we talked, we were joined by an older lady (probably the same age as the man). She told us a lot about her life as well. She was on her way to see her granddaughter. She told us about her marriage and that her and her husband fought daily, but if they didn’t then she would know something was wrong. LOL She said she was very hard to handle, I could not even imagine it. We ended up talking about Autism and our feeling on the subject. They both questioned me on what I felt caused it, how to work with them and then they just listened.

My PM drive was boring, so I will take this time to tell you a great story about work. Every Thursday there is a farmers market across the street from our building behind the city hall. They had great veggies and fruits. They also had fresh breads, lunches and flowers. We went for two reasons: fruits for me and secondly to meet the guy the makes the candied nuts. Background on that guy is I guess he totally flirts with Terry from work. Terry said he as gone with a few different ladies and a couple of other guys and the “nut” man always flirts with him and totally ignores who ever he was with. So Terry wanted to see if he would ignore me too. I am VERY PROUD to say that not only did he talk to me I also got a few very cute smiles and some eye contact. BTW he is HOT! LATIN!!! GREAT ARMS and did I say hot? So after we shopped Terry decided he would be adventurous and eat at a different booth…ok BTW he never does this. We take our stuff back to the office and prepare to eat. (Oh yeah he said I could blog about him) So I warm up my lunch and we sit down to eat. He eats a few bites of his chicken, all of his rice and heads to start on his salad. One glance at the salad and you’d be unsure if there was dressing on it. He takes a couple bites and then looks at me and his eyes are so big. Ahh I think that there is vinegar on this salad he says. I say oh hmm that is interesting. He says no not really, I am allergic to vinegar! OMG I was like well are you going to die or do we have time to get you some benadryl? He says well my throat is getting scratchy and it is hard to breathe. So then we walked 2 blocks to CVS…needless to say he went home and fell asleep and all ends well.

Casualty: Terry – get my bad luck for the day.

No comments: