Monday, October 6, 2008

Do I smell and many other questions...

I mean really, I took a shower last night. I even did my makeup before I got on the train. Have you ever heard the saying if you want to look beautiful surround yourself with ugly people. Well everyone today must have realized that I was FAR to pretty to sit by. Hence the reason NO ONE all day sat by me on the train, AM or PM. Well that is ok, because this weekend I hurt my knee even more. Why do you still play soccer Terri you may ask? Why, because it is all I know. It is part of my DNA. Without soccer I would I'd NEVER exercise. So maybe just maybe people could tell that I need my space to up my leg up. I mean I looked cute today. No, I still have not got my hair done or the pedicure done, but heck I shaved my legs! Oh yeah and some guy sat in my chair this morning.

Well, I'll get over. Not having any conversations has given me some time to reflect. Time to try to figure of where in the heck did our world go wrong. How did chivalry die? Where did common courtesy go? Why have people stop caring about the people around them? Over the last two weeks I have seen some things that really make me sad, but at the same time proud that I was brought up in such a great family.

Chivalry is a term related to the medieval institution of knighthood. It is usually associated with ideals of knightly virtues, honour and courtly love. Today, the terms chivalry and chivalrous are used to describe courteous behavior, especially that of men towards women. Why is it that a man can sit nice an cozy in a chair and watch a mom and her 3 kids looking for seats and never get up? Why is it that a man will get on the subway and stand right in front of the door and not move as you try to squish in? Why is it that people have stopped teaching their families to put women and children first. To help the elderly of all ages and be plain courteous and respectful.

How hard is it to hold a door for someone? How hard is it to close a bathroom door? How awful would it be to have to move to another seat so a couple could sit together?

Why is it that when other people are in pain or have misfortune that we don't try to help even to the best of our abilities? For the last two fridays I have seen the same lady on the corner of 1st and Spring st. and yes she is a homeless person but does that make her any less of a person? NO. One friday I gave her my water and last friday I looked at her in the eyes smiled and said I am sorry I don't have anything for you today. She said thank you and God bless. Am I an great person for doing that? NO. But I could have made someone's day but making them feel a little love and a little kindness. My heart aches for these people who can't take care of themselves.

Today as I was walking down the hill toward my office building, I saw this hispanic guy leaning on the chain-link fence and it looked like he was stopping a hispanic lady from walking on. I of course thought the worst and I was actually contemplating what I could do to help her. As I walked closer I came to the realization that this man was begging the lady for forgiveness for something. As I got square to them he was on his knee pleading with her and he had tears in his eyes and his voice. She looked so upset. I just started to pray for them and of course i started to cry for them. My heart was so heavy for the guy, I really hope things work out for them.

So since I don't have anything to write about conversations on the train, I will end with this. Thank you God for making me part of the family and giving me the friends you have. I have been blessed with a group of individuals who not only have common courtesy and loving skills...they have taught them to their children. Please and thank you aren't only words they are manners and show respect and courtesy. Thank you for my parents and their unconditional love and support of us.

Thank you for letting me witness the sunrise and sunset of every day. What an amazing way to start and end your day. Take a look.

Sunrise over Batiquitos Lagoon (Solana Beach)


Sunset over Oceanside

No comments: